Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 61, Wednesday - RAK

So today was a bit of a rest day, but I did learn how to cook these really tasty dough things. A couple of days ago, they gave me these round dough things with a sweet syrup on them and they were really good. Well, we have had them a couple times now and so I finally asked what they were. They are kind of like doughnuts in that they are deep fried and the syrup on them is date syrup. The Arabic word for them translates to something like “bites.”

I wanted to see how they were made so I went into the kitchen and watched Jean, the maid/cook, make them by squeezing the dough from between her finger and thumb into hot oil.

I’m adding this to the list of Middle Eastern things I want to learn how to make.

In the evening, we went to a salon for a special hair treatment which uses olive oil and steam to make your hair soft. First, the woman washed my hair; then, she put this paste, which I was told was olive oil, in my hair and gave me a scalp massage to work it in. After that she gave me a little back massage before putting my head in a thing which reminded me of a professional hair-drier except that it produced steam instead of dry heat.

I flipped through a book on India while the steam worked on my hair. 

After about 15 minutes, she washed my hair again and then dried it straight. My hair now feels like silk. I’m not even kidding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment